The curriculum focuses on the root cause of addiction within Indigenous Communities. You will learn both cultural and mainstream approaches to addictions counselling. Training ranges from pharmacology to traditional methods including Sacred Circles, Teaching/Learning Circles, and the use of the four sacred medicines - tobacco, cedar, sage and sweet grass. There is an eight-week placement component in this program.
To download the program flyer click here.
You will learn:
- Traditional healing, learning and teaching
- Cultural specific helping
- Challenges facing Native communities
- Interviewing, reporting and documenting
- Addictions counselling skills
- Relapse preventions
- Psychology and sociology
OSSD or equivalent including ENG4C or ENG4U. (options available for mature applicants)
- Alcohol and drug treatment units
- Family resource centres
- Young offender residential centres
- Substance abuse prevention counselling and treatment centres