The SNP STEAM Academy is a grade 9-14 technology-rich secondary school where students create their own pathways to high-skilled jobs. Students will begin taking college courses as early as grade 10 and will finish the program in 5 - 6 years with both an Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a 2 year Ontario College Technician Diploma.
STEAM is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in five specific disciplines:
STEAM Education creates critical thinkers, increases science literacy, and enables the next generation of innovators.
The program is open to incoming grade 9 students who are interested in learning about and applying science, technology, engineering arts and mathematics (STEAM).
SNP-STEAM Academy students must be willing to commit to a rigorous course of study in STEAM, career development and essential 21st-century skills, such as leadership, problem-solving and critical thinking. Students will be invited to participate in a school orientation program to be held on August 30th and 31st.
Why Choose SNP STEAM Academy?
- Get early access to college courses while in high school. Students will take their first college course in the 10th grade!
- Pursue a tuition-free college diploma. Workplace learning that includes on- going mentoring, worksite visits, speakers and internships.
- Focused education-to-career pathways. Students graduate equipped with skills that lead directly to jobs or further studies
- Individualized academic support that enables students to progress through the program at their own pace.
- Dedicated & talented staff who are focused on students' academic, personal, and professional success.
New Model of Education
SNP-STEAM Academy is pioneering a new model of education that offers an integrated high school and college curriculum focusing on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM). Students have the opportunity to earn both an Ontario Secondary School Diploma AND two-year College Diploma (at no cost). Personal academic plans provide the flexibility for advanced learners to complete high school and college in less than six years.
Our Vision is to achieve international distinction for excellence in STEAM education, Indigenous language revitalization and continuance of Indigenous knowledge.
With distinguished instructors and smaller class sizes, SNP STEAM students experience a culturally supportive, interactive learning environment designed to support success.
Whether you are coming from Six Nations, Brantford, other communities or cities, everyone at Six Nations Polytechnic - staff, students and instructors included - are expected to follow the values of Ga’nigohi:yo:/Kanikoriio (Respect and the Good Mind). These values encompass:
Our Mission is to positively contribute to the well-being of all who share this land and to create and preserve knowledge specific to Ogwehoweh languages and culture through respectful interaction and information sharing with other knowledge systems.
This means our doors are open to everyone who wants to learn with us. SNP is committed to supporting the development of confident, knowledgeable and skilled members of society.
All elements of the natural world are connected physically and spiritually and are to interrelate to each other to benefit the whole. The responsibility falls on the people to peacefully maintain nature’s delicate balance to ensure that unborn generations can enjoy what we enjoy today.
Six Nations Polytechnic accepts this responsibility and is devoted to facilitating the will and determination of our community to maintain an environmentally friendly world through education, training, and research.
- The school is open to students of all backgrounds and abilities.
- The point of entry for this school year is the ninth grade, and the school will admit a maximum of 50 students in its initial 9th-grade class, with plans to grow by a maximum of 75 students per year.
- The full capacity is 450 students, which is hoped to be achieved by Year 6.
Upon graduation from SNP-STEAM Academy, students can choose to continue their studies at college or university or enter the workforce with industry connections and valuable skills.