We Are Welders (Intensive Cohort) is a tuition-free program for low-income women to gain local employment in the welding field. The curriculum content includes workshops aimed to remove barriers, build confidence, and acquire new skills/knowledge.
The program will be delivered through a combination of online theory, and hands-on practical training scheduled at the Brantford campus of Six Nations Polytechnic. Course topics include: career awareness, life skills, intro welding skills, employment readiness, empowerment, and a paid work placement.
Limited supports may be available for childcare and transportation (subsidy application required).
This program is funded under the Women's Economic Security Program by the Ministry of the Status of Women and is directed towards participants who are women and/or those who identify as women and/or non-binary participants.
Click here to read Frequently Asked Questions.
- Please note: Program dates may change due to government restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This program will be a blend of in-person and online classes. Access to a computer and the internet will be required.
- Intensive program schedules are compact so students can learn and begin their careers faster.
- Students who successfully complete the program secured an employer/sponsor and have the minimum requirement for the trade can apply for an apprenticeship through Employment Ontario.
- OSSD or equivalent is recommended
- Must be a resident and able to work in Ontario
- Meet income eligibility criteria set out by the Ministry of Community, Children and Social Services
- Minimum 16 years old or older
- Pre-screen assessment required
- Only open to participants who are women or those who identify as women and/or non-binary.
- Metal Fabricator
- Production Welder